09/08/2010

Ewan :Man of Style:

"I don't know very much about fashion," declares this debonair Scotsman with a laugh. He may protest ignorance when it comes to the finer points of style, but McGregor is comfortable chatting about the national dress of his homeland. "I have lots of kilts [including] some traditional McGregor tartans," says the 39-year-old, who two years ago moved from London to Hollywood. "I left them all in storage in Britain. I could never wear a kilt in LA!" In Roman Polanski's new thriller, The Ghost Writer, McGregor plays an anonymous wordsmith penning the memoirs of a former British PM. So what might his own biography be called? "I've never considered writing it," insists the down-to-earth star. "I'm very happy with my life, but I don't think it would be of great interest to anyone else." We respectfully disagree. What clothes do you gravitate towards? "I like [English designer] Neil Barrett's clothes. His suits are classic and sharp, but you can also wear the jackets during the day." So, sleek and cool is your style now, but what about when you were younger? "I liked flamboyant stuff when I was younger. I remember in the '80s I had a big pair of baggy, multi-coloured trousers. I wore them with braces, a yellow shirt and orange pointy suede shoes. I'd like to replace those shoes, actually. I always keep my eye out [for similar styles]." You're facing a milestone birthday next year. Any anxiety about turning 40? "You're not the first person to ask me that. Forty next year—it's true! I don't really mind, but it's the first birthday that I've thought about. It's a presence." Describe your perfect weekend. "I like nothing better than to wake up on a Saturday morning with my wife and kids [Clara Mathilde, 14, Jamiyan, nine, and Esther Rose, eight] and then spend the weekend running them around: riding lessons, ballet lessons… On Sunday morning, I try to fit in a motorcycle ride and have breakfast at the Rock Store, a biker's haunt in the canyons above Malibu. Then a barbecue with family and friends." You're the only man in a house full of females. Do you have a room you can retreat to? "There is another boy in my house: Sid. He's my dog, my little buddy. My garage with my bikes and tools is where I find my peace and quiet. Sid lies under the counter while I tinker. I've got a motorbike with a sidecar, and he sits in there, too. I take him out in the sidecar as well. I've got a picture of him where he is ready to go with his goggles on. He loves it!" Pick up the latest issue of InStyle on newsstands now to read more of our interview with McGregor.

No comments:

Post a Comment